The Lundin Ladies' Golf Club was instituted in 1890 and formally constituted in 1891. The Ladies’ Golf Club has always been separate from the Lundin Golf Club, and is independent with its own clubhouse, course and staff. It has only lady members and is believed to be the oldest such club extant.
The original course was on the land by the beach known as the Massney Braes, although there is no record of the number of holes. It then moved to the area known then as the North Links in 1890. From the club’s inception in 1891 the constitution stated that the club shall consist of Lady members, Hon members, Gentlemen Associates and children over the age of seven.
The western end of the original 1890 course
Over the next 10 years the course moved and changed, taking up various parts of the ground along by the shore currently used by Lundin Golf Club.
It was in fact in 1908 that the gents from Lundin and Leven decided their course was too congested and they wanted to split at the mile dyke. To create a course of their own, they needed the land occupied by Lundin Ladies. Sir John Gilmour asked the ladies to move to a new site – The Standing Stanes Park. The new course was to be designed by James Braid.
The new course (2409yds) was to be taken over in 1909 and indeed the clubhouse was moved to its present position at that time.
The clubhouse on its original site
The clubhouse today with the greenkeeper’s cottage behind.
The new course was officially opened on 15th April 1910 by the captain, Mr Harry Gilmour, who drove the first ball using a silver mounted club made and presented by Mr DM Patrick. There followed a scratch competition for the Lady Gilmour Cup. This competition is played each year still.
Mr Harry Gilmour plays the first shot with a silver mounted club
In 1913 it was intended that the course be extended to 18 holes. However during the great war the land was required for agriculture and the intended new 9 holes were used for that purpose. The clubhouse was rented out to men of the 1st Highland Cyclists Battalion as a reading and recreation room!
The club decided to stay 9 holes only in 1922 and joined the LGU in 1927. In 1930 an additional 6 ½ acres of land were acquired and the current 3rd and 4th holes came into play. Apart from some minor adjustments the course has remained more or less the same ever since.
In WW2 some of the land on the course was taken for food production and the ladies were left with only 6 holes on which to play. As this saved the gentlemen from giving up part of their golfing ground, they generously allowed us use of their course free of charge! Our club suffered financially at this time and a great debt is owed to the enthusiastic ladies who kept the course going in the immediate post war period. The course became very popular and it is said that it was not unusual to see 40 people waiting on the 1st tee!!
It was not until the late 50s that Sunday golf was allowed after 1pm. In 1965 it was allowed from 9am.
The Ladies' Club has long had a tradition of educating children in the etiquette and courtesy of the game. Many excellent golfers had their first golfing experience at the Ladies' Course. Although this has declined somewhat in the last decade, it is currently being revived and youngsters can buy an annual ticket for just £20. Further plans have been put in place to encourage young people and we hope yet again to be ambassadors for good etiquette in the golfing youth.
The management of the club is carried out by a council consisting of 10 members. Although in the past gentlemen associates were included in the committee, (in an advisory capacity!) only ladies now manage the business of the club.
The Standing Stanes