Lundin Ladies teed off the new season on Saturday, March 13th with a match between teams representing the new Captain, Jan Stuart and Vice-Captain, Heather Fleming, who had been elected at the AGM held over Zoom three days earlier.
Thirty-six golfers went head to head over 9 holes in bright sunshine but a bitingly cold wind, and the result was a win for the Captain’s team by 12 and a half matches to 5 and a half.
Elinor Hay correctly guessed the length of Jan’s drive on the 3rd hole as 150 yards and Nearest the Pin on the 6th hole was Pam Seath, who was also celebrating a milestone birthday.
The photo shows Captain Jan Stuart (left) and Vice-Captain Heather Fleming (right) on their way to the first tee.
The Lundin Ladies’ Golf Club was instituted in 1890 and formally constituted in 1891. The 9 hole Ladies’ Golf Club has always been separate from the Lundin Golf Club, and is independent with its own clubhouse, course and staff. It has only lady members and is believed to be one of the oldest such club extant.
The original course was on the land by the beach known as the Massney Braes, although there is no record of the number of holes. It then moved to the area known then as the North Links in 1890. From the club’s inception in 1891 the constitution stated that the club shall consist of Lady members, Hon members, Gentlemen Associates and children over the age of seven.
Over the next 10 years the course moved and changed, taking up various parts of the ground along by the shore currently used by Lundin Golf Club.
It was in fact in 1908 that the gents from Lundin and Leven decided their course was too congested and they wanted to split at the mile dyke. To create a course of their own, they needed the land occupied by Lundin Ladies. Sir John Gilmour asked the ladies to move to a new site – The Standing Stanes Park. The new course was to be designed by James Braid.
The new course (2409yds) was to be taken over in 1909 and indeed the clubhouse was moved to its present position at that time.
In 1913 it was intended that the course be extended to
18 holes. However during the great war the land was required for
agriculture and the intended new 9 holes were used for that purpose.
The clubhouse was rented out to men of the 1st Highland Cyclists
Battalion as a reading and recreation room!
The club decided to stay 9 holes only in 1922 and
joined the LGU in 1927. In 1930 an additional 6 ½ acres of land were
acquired and the current 3rd and 4th holes came into play. Apart from
some minor adjustments the course has remained more or less the same
In WW2 some of the land on the course was taken for
food production and the ladies were left with only 6 holes on which to
play. As this saved the gentlemen from giving up part of their golfing
ground, they generously allowed us use of their course free of charge!
Our club suffered financially at this time and a great debt is owed to
the enthusiastic ladies who kept the course going in the immediate post
war period. The course became very popular and it is said that it was
not unusual to see 40 people waiting on the 1st tee!!
It was not until the late 50s that Sunday golf was allowed after 1pm. In 1965 it was allowed from 9am.
The Ladies’ Club has long had a tradition of educating
children in the etiquette and courtesy of the game. Many excellent
golfers had their first golfing experience at the Ladies’ Course.
Although this has declined somewhat in the last decade, it is currently
being revived and youngsters can buy an annual ticket for just £20.
Further plans have been put in place to encourage young people and we
hope yet again to be ambassadors for good etiquette in the golfing
The management of the club is carried out by a council
consisting of 10 members. Although in the past gentlemen associates
were included in the committee, (in an advisory capacity!) only ladies
now manage the business of the club.
Our Fun Game went ahead in the mist and the rain. 35 members braved the elements, came in very wet but everyone enjoyed their game.
We had lovely mince pies, shortbread and mulled wine for those of us fortunate enough not to have to drive! The winners were L-R Dianne Parish, Jan Stuart (Vice Captain) and Elinor Hay
This year our Christmas Fun Game will take the form of 3 clubs and a putter played in groups of three over 9 holes. Two scores out of three will count at each hole and each team member must have at least 4 scores counted. A customised score card will be available to each team where each member’s gross score will be entered. After the hole is played and gross scores entered 2 members’ scores will be circled and totalled. When the round is complete the totals should be added and the team handicap subtracted. (It’s easy really)
We are starting at 10a.m. not 11a.m. as in the diary.
Unfortunately, we shall not be able to provide our usual Christmas catering. However, there will be hot mulled wine and a mince pie for everyone after your game.
This is a fun game to allow us to get in to the “ Christmas spirit” after a challenging year and the opportunity to enjoy fellowship (all at a social distance) Santa hats and tinsel are to be encouraged!!
I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to the fabulous Lundin Ladies Golf Club"